- Despite having a slower metabolism, walleyes still feed throughout the winter.
- During the winter, walleye eat less than 1% of their body weight as compared to the summer when they eat approximately 3%.
- Walleye generally feed around sunrise and sunset during the winter and particularly in clear water.
- Sometimes walleye establish a smaller home-range during the winter, usually only a fraction of the size of their summer range.
- On smaller lakes walleye generally stay close to most traditional structures such as steep-breaking humps, deeper portions of long points and deep saddles.
- At late-ice, the walleye move shallower, often closer to areas where spawning will take place.
Winter Walleye Movements
Other Fishing & Hunting Articles:Winter Walleye Movements
Glowing Bait Info
Ice Pike Strategies
Fishing Shallow Under the Ice for the Big, Winter Pike
Fishing During Walleye Spawning
Trolling Up Moonlit 'Eyes
Fishing in Patricia Region - Canada's Heartland